DENTAL IMPLANTS: The Mystery, the Joy & the Excitement
Dental implants are becoming increasingly popular as technologies evolve and more and more people are discovering that they look and perform like real teeth.
So … what are dental implants? How long do they take to install? What is the procedure? How much do they cost? How long do they last?
In the meantime, here are some important insights into dental implants:
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are new teeth (typically made of porcelain or gold) supported by surgical pegs placed in your jawbone. Implants look and function like natural teeth, giving you the best possible appearance, comfort, convenience, and confidence.
How Long Do Implants Take to Install?
From start to finish, implants take between six to twelve months to install, depending on the needs of the implant site. If you choose to proceed with implants, Dr. McCullough will establish an Implant Treatment Plan specifically for you, considering your goals, needs, and the unique structure of your mouth.
What is the Implant Procedure?
There are three components of an implant, each placed in its proper sequence:
1. The Implant: A titanium post is inserted directly into your jaw, which permanently fuses with the bone. Once placed, it takes approximately 3-4 months to heal in a natural process called osseointegration. (Dr. Tidwell calls this period of time “the mystery, the joy and the excitement” of the dental implant process.) Surprisingly, this procedure takes a very short amount of time, is often completely painless, and post-operative recovery time is extremely fast.
2. The Abutment: Another titanium piece (illustrated in green, right) connects the implant in the jaw to the crown on the surface. Both the abutment and crown are typically placed at the same time, once the implant is fused to the jaw.
3. The Crown: A porcelain (or gold) tooth is attached to the abutment. The crown is the only part of the implant you’ll see. It is the workhorse of the implant, doing all the chewing (and smiling).
How Much Do Implants Cost?
There are many variables that will contribute to the cost of your implant/s. You are unique and so will be your procedure. Fortunately, our fee structure depends on the projected ease or difficulty of the procedure.
Call us today to schedule a personal consultation so you can receive an accurate estimate and see how dental implants can benefit you. All associated costs will be provided to you and explained in detail before you make your decision whether or not to proceed.
How Long Do Implants Last?
Dental implants, maintained properly, can last a very, very, long time. With proper dental hygiene – and dental checkups twice annually – implants can last a lifetime. Factors that often contribute to implant failure include:
· Poor health prior to the implants
· Periodontal disease
· Neglect (not having proper hygiene or maintenance
Schedule a consultation with Dr. McCullough here or call or text 503-359- 5481.